Usually after my initial “omg that beat is so on point” reaction to a song is over, I take time to listen to the lyrics. And there are some that just completely knock me over with a feather. And there are some that are so beyond ridiculous, I just can’t even put them into words. There are lyrics that completely hit mean to my soul. And there are some that make me scratch my head and go, “I wonder what the person was feeling or going through.” Most people have a tendency to put themselves in the song when they connect to an artist. But I have a tendency to do the opposite. I always think about the singer or band and wonder what he or she meant about things…or what they were thinking..or how they were able to cope. I guess that’s my heart being sensitive. But that’s how I roll. The following lyrics are just some..SOME…and in no particular order..lyrics that made me go…”Snookawhaaaaa?” Now some you may know. And some you may not. And if you don’t, let me be the first to school you.
1. You think we’ve got it good, but they got it made. And the grass is getting greener each day. I know things are looking up, but soon they’ll take us down, before anybody’s knowing our name. -“All the Right Moves” One Republic
2. Today I didn’t even have to use my AK, I gotta say it was a good day – “It was a Good Day” – Ice Cube WHAT??? Really Ice Cube? REALLY?? It’s not that deep Ice..
3. You were my wife, my life, my hopes and dreams. For you to understand what this means, I shall explain. I stood all the jealousy, all the bitchin’ too. Yes, I’d forget it all once in bed with you. – To Keep You Satisfied by Marvin Gaye. Damn. That man was a charmer. I often wonder how his heart went on to love his wives (plural) and still cheat on them. But still charm them. All I can say is wow.
4. 911 is a joke. “911 is a joke” by Flavor Flav. He’s very much right. It is a joke.
5. Got some bad news this morning. Which in turn made my day. When this someone spoke I listened. All of a sudden have less and less to say. Oh how could this be, I’ve lived vicariously. Who’s gonna save my soul now? How will my story ever be told now? -“Who’s Gonna Save My Soul?” – Gnarls Barkley. I have a soft spot in my heart for Cee-Lo. He speaks on topics that really aren’t touched upon in dance and hip hop. It’s a very melancholy song over an incredibly sparse beat with minimal chords. He makes me think he needs a serious hug. I especially enjoy “How will my story ever be told now?” I think that’s a question all of us ask ourselves on a daily basis. Oh no. Just me.
6. In this generation, in this lovin’ time. In this generation, we will make the world a’shine. “For Pete’s Sake” by the Monkees. Somehow those lyrics are just as poignant now more than ever. I especially like the fact that they used the word “we.” Now, if the rest of the world just gets it and stop beating each other down. Maybe the world would shine better.
7. This is not a black and white world. To be alive I say that the colours must swirl. And I believe that maybe today we will all get to appreciate the Beauty of Grey. -“Beauty of Grey” by Live. Great song. Great lyric that rings true today. The more interaction with one another, the more the colors will swirl. Beautiful concept isn’t? Simple concept. Yet still so hard for people to grasp…physically, verbally (condescending or otherwise), etc..
8. My life will be my motorbike. I ride it into the sunset let the wind blow just for me. “Into the Sunset”-Matt Goss Definitely a road trip song.
9. Put on your wig woman. You know I like to shake and Fingerpop. -“Shake and Fingerpop” by Jr. Walker and the All-Stars Any song that gives glory to the wig, now that’s what I dig. And it makes my bootie shake. Guaranteed musical goodness. I promise you.
10. I stop the world and melt with you.. – “Melt with You” by Modern English. Toe tapper. Makes you want to get out those shoulder pad 80s blouses, a can of Aqua Net and go for self. Oh wait. That’s me.
11. “Tramps like us. Baby we were born to run.” “Born to Run” – Bruuuuuuuuuuce. Need I even say WHY?
12. You tell me to find someone else to love, someone who’ll love me too, the way you used to do. But each time I go out with some one new, you walk by and I fall to pieces. “Fall to Pieces” by Patsy Cline. Yes folks, I dig the country too. Oh Patsy. Beautiful lyrics. Beautiful voice. She makes falling in love sound wonderful instead of the gutwrenching pain in the ass it usually is. Not that I’m bitter.
13. Breathe the pressure. Come play my game and I’ll test ya. “Beathe” by Prodigy. This band changed how I looked at electronica forever. I miss them.
14. “Innnnnnn West Philadelphia born and raised on the playground is where I spend most of my days. Chillin’ out maxin relaxin’ by the pool and shootin’ some b-ball outside of the school. When a couple of guys who were up to no good, startin’ makin’ trouble in my neighborhood. I got in one little fight and my mom got scared she said, “she said you’re movin’ with your auntie and uncle in bel-air. “Fresh Prince of Bel Air Theme Song.” – Will Smith. I LOVE how simple his lyrics were. And CLEAN. To me it take a lot more talent to NOT curse than it does to just add an f-bomb to a song. That’s one of the true definitions of a songwriter..clean lyrics.
15. In my life why do I smile at people who I’d much rather kick in the eye? “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now” – The Smiths. Now. I love the Smiths. I am not a fanatical lover, just a regular run of the mill fan. But what strikes me about this lyric is that is SO. Fucking. TRUE. How many times have we despised someone be it at work, in school, an ex perhaps, and all we want to do is just kick the crap out of them for whatever they did to you and somehow..we just smile at them? I know the expression “kill ’em with kindness” comes to mind here. But really. Just a kick in the eye would be just as vengeful. Jus’ sayin’.
16. I promise I won’t linger long. I promise I won’t push my face up against your clothes or your stupid sheets. I deserve a stay, a second thought. “Sheets” by Tegan and Sara. Sara Quin is one of the most interesting songwriters I’ve listened to in a while. I am proned to be drawn to her writing than her sister’s not that Tegan isn’t good. It’s just that with Sara’s lyrics..they’re more..”reading between the lines figuring out..zo my gurd she uses the most interesting metaphors for how she’s feeling” type of deal. She’s a weird one. But a good weird.
17. Still I keep my love for you. No place to hide no way to fall. Nowhere to lie no world so wide. I’m sick and tired of telling you. Don’t let me down and down and down. don’t let me down and down and down. “Don’t Let Me Down and Down” – David Bowie. This is one of the most r&bish songs by a man who is so far from r&b. But that’s beside the point. This dude is pouring his heart out and swears he will love this woman til the end of time and he is praying that she won’t let him down in return. Telling her to quit being scared and commit and he will do the same no matter what. Oh Bowie, too bad Iman got to you first;-) I guess, if I believed in love, it should be like that.
18. The court awaited as the foreman got the verdict from the bailiff. Emotional outbursts tears and smeared makeup. He stated, he was guilty on all charges. She’s shaking like she took it the hardest
A spin artist, she brought her face up laughing. That’s when the prosecutor realized what happened
All that speaking her mind testifying and crying when this bitch did the crime- the queen pin… “Testify” by Common. Great song about a woman con artist who framed her man for murder. Common is a great story teller and this song, short as it is, is just an example.
19. We’re all slaves to a Big Machine. All tied up to a big machine. I got houses. Got cars. I got a wife.
I got kids. Got money in the bank -“Big Machine” by Velvet Revolver. It’s a simple one liner, yet it is so beyond true. The hounds get the gravy. The good get dumped on. We fight and fight and fight to keep up with the Jones’. Not the Kardashians. The Big Machine is why we all do it. It’s a never ending saga.
20. Do as I say not as I do because the shit’s so deep you can’t run away. I beg to differ on the contrary I agree with every word that you say. Talk is cheap and lies are expensive. “Walking Contradiction” by Green Day – great great song. And so true. I think on some levels everyone is a walking contradiction. And it’s not even realized til someone points it out to you. For example, I know people who say they don’t like coffee. But yet they like “iced” coffee. What’s the difference? It’s still all coffee.
So there you have it. 20 Lyrics that I find fascinating, true, funny, hard to believe, questionable, passionate, and…for the most part..real (Fresh Prince theme excluded..it’s just really funny). I’m sure everyone has others. And that’s cool too. And this my dear friends, is why music has been the most reliable thing in my life. It never lets me down, it gives me something to think about, and puts a smile on my face.